Archive for May, 2010
Here are the top 5 reasons to be an SEO reseller:
1) SEO is a growth industry. If you read any of the stats on the search engine optimization space, or SEM space, you will see a fantastic growth curve in spending. While it may look like there is great competition, the growth in spending is outpacing the competition. That means there is enough for everyone.
2) Doing the SEO yourself is harder than you think. Search engine optimization is much harder than you think. The days of just adjusting a title tag are clearly over. You need a well coordinated on-site and off-site SEO program to really rank any site. This is very hard to do yourself. You should use a professional SEO reseller program for this.
3) Outsourcing SEO makes good business sense. Unless you really really want to develop search engine optimization as a core competency, then the business case will be slanted toward an outsource SEO approach. It just makes sense. Economies of scale, deeper SEO technical knowledge, more focus, are just a few reasons your SEO reseller partner will be better than you at this activity.
4) Using an SEO reseller plan lowers your risk of failure. When you get distracted, you don’t do a good job. And sales and marketing are job 1. When you outsource SEO to a reseller program, you can focus on sales and marketing. This is critical as your company will not survive without great focus. You can always pull search engine optimization fulfillment back in-house later. If you go out of business due to lack of sales, there is no turning back.
5) The technology investment costs are too high. If you want to build a world-class search engine optimization product, you will need to be prepared to make a hefty investment in technology. No, not spammy submission software – because that’s not real SEO. You will be investing in analytic products, APIs, report-building and a workflow system that is required to keep track of your white-hat SEO activities. You SEO reseller will have this already and can fold you right into their program.
If you are checking out the SEO reseller space, it may be a natural question to wonder why you would want to resell an SEO product from another company in the first place. I mean, don’t you keep more profit if you just do the search engine optimization work yourself? Well – Yes and no. Here is the breakdown.
It may seem attractive to do all of your client’s search engine optimization work in-house at first. The profit margins are certainly higher because you are not paying a percentage of the profit to the SEO reseller organization. But there are a couple of very serious drawbacks to this approach. Here they are:
1) Your Search Engine Optimization Product Is Not Good: I don’t mean to be blunt, but if you are just starting out in SEO, then what you are doing will not measure up to a well-run, tried-and-true, tested search engine optimization program at a reputable SEO reseller. Seriously. I know you probably think you know some tricks – but get real. These folks have been around the search engine block a few times. They have probably optimized and ranked thousands of terms. They know the keyword spaces for hundreds of industries. And they know what links work, what tactics Google prefers, and what to stay away from. If you just ran out to Barnes and Nobel and bought “SEO For Dummies” and think you can build a real business based on those recommendations, you are wrong.
2) Your Approach Will Not Scale: Let’s say I am actually wrong on #1, and what you do is actually BETTER than what you would get from the SEO reseller program you are thinking of joining. Okay. I’m open to that. And for a few of you reading this, that may be true. Perhaps you really do bring greater care and focus to your search engine optimization. Perhaps you have found a couple great secret linking places. Fine. I am willing to concede that point for a few of you. But now try to scale those activities up from the one or two clients you current have (or your own websites) to several hundred clients. Yes – This one is a killer. As you look in to the future and you see a thriving SEO business that brings you great free cash-flow, you will undoubtedly see many, many clients in your portfolio. This is where many small-shop approaches to SEO break down, and where – again – the SEO reseller strategy really shows promise. They have figured out the scale issue. And don’t underestimate this.
In summary – You know my preference is that new players in the search engine optimization space consider reselling SEO before they try to build a quality product themselves. There is always time to bring this activity back in-house later. But if you fail to sell, or build an inferior product, you may not recover.